Saturday, November 21, 2009

HAROLD FALTERMEYER - Top Gun score [unreleased] (1986)

HAROLD FALTERMEYER - Top Gun score
As you may know, this is not a movie score music blog.
This will be the only one ever posted here, because it's special.
It belongs to the # 1 icon movie of the eighties, and remains unpublished.

Harold Faltermeyer's score couldn't have complimented the film any better.
His work defined the 80's style of action scoring, heavily synthesized, tuneful and rhythmic.
It was years ahead of everything in it's genre for the time.
This music score was the first to be performed and recorded DDD on the polyphonic 16 bit stereo Synclavier Digital Music System.

The project started jointly with Giorgio Moroder, with the idea to also compose catchy AOR / arena rock songs to complement the incidental music.
But Faltermeyer left the project (apparently due to differences with producer JB) and the Top Gun score incomplete. That's why never was released.
Some tracks were re-recorded for the film, but Harold's takes are far better.

I've made my own version of this score.
Sources vary; most of them from a very rare big Harold demo folder I own, containing true gems like rock&pop songs used in different OST and never released in any format, rejected scores, amazing demos and the aforementioned Top Gun unreleased score.
Also some tracks ripped (not by me) from the 5.1 DVD version of the movie.
Not included here any song / version present in the official V.A. soundtrack. Just the unreleased stuff.
As bonus, Giorgio Moroder's 'Radar Radio', the first song playing on the jukebox at the end of the film, song only appeared as b-side of the movie promo vinyl single 'Take My Breath Away' by the band Berlin.

There's a CD bootleg release of this soundtrack (german I think), but miss many songs.
Recently I've seen another double-boot on eBay, including my 'Radar Radio' rip! (posted in my AOR Treasures Vol.10 compilation).
Hope you enjoy my version, I didn't followed the movie's sequence, my tracklist order is just according to my taste.
Some track names may differ from the bootlegs, like 'Flying Again' = 'Get Back In The Saddle', 'New Mission = Mission Briefing', etc.
That's how they are labeled in my archives.

All tracks are original 320 Kbps files.
Artwork designed by me included.




01 - Opening Theme (2:39)
02 - MIG 28's (1:42)
03 - Viper's Dog Fight (2:08)
04 - Flying Again (3:20)
05 - Duke Mitchell's Story (1:09)
06 - Goose's Death / Goodbye Goose (1:49)
07 - Negative G Pushover (3:22)
08 - Who's Side Are You On / Never Again (3:30)
09 - Top Gun Anthem [film version] (3:45)
10 - Dog Fight #3 (2:38)
11 - Mighty Wings [instrumental] (1:40)
12 - Still Awake / Can't Sleep (2:07)
13 - Take My Breath Away [instrumental] (1:40)
14 - MIG's Dead Ahead (3:00)
15 - Flat Spin (4:26)
16 - New Mission (2:28)
17 - Memories (2:50)
18 - Great Balls Of Fire [demo] (2:33)
19 - Radar Radio [G. Moroder feat. Joe Pizzulo] (3:38)




UPDATED HERE

14 Comments:

A Fan said...

This should be good,thanx alot mate

Tomas said...

you're great !!

Unknown said...

UHUUUUU!!! AAAAHHHH!!! ONE OF THE BEST RARITIES EVER POSTED HERE AND ANYWHERE!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALOTTT!!!!

I'll get it soon.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this blog. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Not working..
PLEEEASE FIX THIS !!

Anonymous said...

me encanta esta pagina buenos discos

Anonymous said...

This is awesome dude! I've been looking for this everywhere but like you said it was never published. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So, after comparing these tracks to the film version and reading the Wikipedia entry, I've come up with what I think is the right same-as-film order. Does this seem right to, er, anyone else who might be paying attention? Thanks, camelblue, for putting this up. Such a shame it was never released.

Opening Theme
MiG-28s
Negative G Pushover
Mighty Wings Instrumental
Still awake - can't sleep
Take My Breath Away (instrumental)
Viper's Dogfight
Memories
Flying Again
Whose Side Are You On - Never Again
Duke Mitchell's Story
Goodbye Goose
New Mission
Flat Spin
MiGs Dead Ahead
Dog Fight #3
Film Anthem

Anonymous said...

Oh, and this is the wikipedia entry - meant to link to it before.

Camelblue said...

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to download the whole thing. It only downloads the first 4 mins of it into VLC

Camelblue said...

Tested and working.
If "File owner's public traffic exhausted" message appears, blame rapidshare. Try it later.

Anonymous said...

It says "File not found" now :'( I must have this to LIVE so pleeeease re-up?

Unknown said...

Is the Harold Faltermeyer music from Top gun still available ?